Vital Signs was Pakistan’s first widely known pop band and were given the title of “pioneers of pop music. The original line up consisted of Junaid Jamshed on vocals, Rohail Hyatt on keyboards, Shehzad Hassan on bass and Nusrat Hussain on keyboards as well. They were extremely popular and produced four very successful albums.
1987 – 1995
Soon after, Nusrat Hussain parted ways with the band to make way for guitarist Salman Ahmad. They released their successful debut album in 1989 along with TV producer Shoaib Mansoor who also wrote the lyrics for the band. In 1990, Salman Ahmad left the band, and was replaced by guitarist Rizwan-ul-Haq.
After Rizwan-ul-Haq joined the band Vital Signs released Vital Signs 2, the follow up to their debut album in 1991 which was a departure from the band’s rosy imagery and sound.
In 1993, Vital Signs began work on their third album in Rohail Hyatt’s studios in Rawalpindi. A few months later they released the album Aitebar, which soon outsold its predecessor, Vital Signs 2. On Aitebar, the Vital Signs returned to the upbeat mood of their first album. After performing a number of concerts managed by Rohails brother, the group headed out with director Shoaib Mansoor to film Guitar ‘93, a Pepsi-financed venture featuring videos shot all across Pakistan.
During 1995, Vital Signs began work on their fourth album. Vital Signs asked Assad Ahmed (then Awaz and current Karavan) to play on the new album. The album was titled Hum Tum. Producer Rohail Hyatt improved on the moody Pink Floydian sound and production he first attempted on 1991’s Vital Signs 2.
After the release of Hum Tum, the band concentrated on their personal projects and Vital Signs drifted away. Junaid Jamshed went on to pursue a career as a solo singer, Shehzad Hasan concentrated on his work as a music producer and Rohail Hyatt formed a production company.
Rohail Hyatt (Keyboards / Guitars)
* Produced all the Vital Signs albums
* Later formed a production house called Pyramid Productions
* Composed and produced the number one hit track Jiya Dhadak Jaye sung by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan
* Is regarded as one of the finest Music producers in Pakistan
Junaid Jamshed (Vocals)
* Released three solo albums after Vital Signs’ fourth album, all produced by Shoaib Mansoor.
* Announced that he would not perform or make any more music several times due to his religious commitments.
* Owner of a successful fashion label in Pakistan.
* Has now left the music and went in islamic teachings
Discography | Download All Albums
Regular Studio Albums (Album information)
Vital Signs 1
* Released: 1989
* Singles: “Dil Dil Pakistan”, “Chehra”
* Label: EMI: Pakistan
Vital Signs 2
* Released: 1991
* Singles: “Rahi”, “Yaad Ker Na”
* Label: EMI: Pakistan
* Released: 1993
* Singles: “Woh Kon Thee”, “Teray Liyay”, “Challa”
* Released: 1995
* Singles: “Hum Tum”, “Un Ka Khayal”, “Yehi Zameen”
* Label: VCI